Dr Lachlan Goold is a Lecturer in Contemporary Music at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC).
His research focuses on practice-based music production approaches, theoretical uses of space, the music industry and cultural geography. Lachlan continues research in recording studio practice with attention on remote and regional areas, the broader music industry, and the implications of government legislation on the music industry in Australia.
Below are some published articles:
- Goold, L. and Istvandity, L., 2022. Regurgitator’s Unit. Bloomsbury Publishing USA
- Goold, L., 2022 The production of space and the changing character of the recording studio. Popular Music, pp.1-19.
- Barratt, M. J., Maddox, A., Smith, N., Davis, J.L., Goold, L., Winstock, A.R., Ferris, J.A., Who uses digital drugs? An international survey of ‘binaural beat’ customers. Drug and alcohol review
- Puljević, C., Carah, N., Miller, P.G., Wood, B., MacFarlane, C., Kilpatrick, E., Goold, L., Regan, S. and Ferris, J., 2021. The impact of the Queensland Government’s Tackling Alcohol‐Fuelled Violence Policy on live music performances in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Australia. Drug and alcohol review, 40(5), pp.738-745.
- Nicholas Carah, Scott Regan, Lachlan Goold, Lillian Rangiah, Peter Miller & Jason Ferris (2021): Original live music venues in hyper-commercialised nightlife precincts: exploring how venue owners and managers navigate cultural, commercial and regulatory forces, International Journal of Cultural Policy, 27(5), pp.621-635.
- Luttrell, B., Banks, H.J., Ward, A. and Goold, L., Hitchhiker’s guide to reality: Devising an interdisciplinary radio play in a pandemic. Perfect Beat, 21(1), pp.69-75.
- Goold, L. and Foran, S., 2020. The Changing Nature of Jazz Artists Within the Recording Technology Space. Riffs, 4(1), pp.86-96.
- Luttrell, B., Goold, L. and Ward, A., 2020. The MacGyver Approach: Teaching economy of availability in tertiary music education during COVID-19. Social Alternatives, 39(4), pp.27-32.
- Miller, P., Coomber, K., Ferris, J., Burn, M., Vakidis, T., Livingston, M., Droste, N., Taylor, N., Puljevic, C., de Andrade, D. and Curtis, A., Goold, L., 2019. Queensland alcohol-related violence and night time economy monitoring (QUANTEM): final report (April 2019).
- Carah, N., Ferris, J., Goold, L. and Regan, S., 2019. Tighter alcohol licensing hasn’t killed live music, but it’s harder for emerging artists. The Conversation, 15.
Lachlan Goold & Phil Graham (2019): The Uncertain Future of the Large-Format Recording Studio Proceedings of the 2017 Art of Record Production Conference, Royal College of Music, Stockholm. Journal on the Art of Record Production and Royal College of Music
- TJ Jensen, K Starkey, A Ward, L Goold, 2021. Portfolio: Connecting music writer and producers with underrepresented communities
- Goold, L, 2019. Portfolio: Space, time, creativity, and the changing character of the recording studio: Spatiotemporal attitudes toward ‘DIY’ recording.
- Graham, P., Goold, L., Carfoot, G., Kelman, K., Millard, B. and Gaffney, K., 2015. Indie 100 2015. Indie 100 2015.
- Kelman, K., Browning, Y., Goold, L., Graham, P. and Mazumdar, S., 2015. Indie 100 International-Chennai.
- R Davidson, K Davidson, C Powell, J Babbage, B Hoey, L Goold., 2013. Ten Hands